Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The given maps illustrate the infrastructural changes made at the town centre. These changes are compared between the year 1700 and the current year.
Over 318 years, the town was almost completely reconstructed. The majority of structures were either demolished to make way for new construction or were refurbished. Very few places in the town date back to 1700.
To name the unchanged structures and places in the town, the bridge on the river still exists in the town. Also, the market square and church located in the town centre remain intact even after 318 years.
Among the structures which changed, the Steggle Farm, as can be seen in the left bottom corner of the 1700’s map, was removed to build a wider road later named the Steggle road. Opposite to it, some fields had been utilised to make space for a row of houses. Near St. Peter’s lane, houses and stables were knocked down to build a supermarket, a block of flats and a series of smaller homes. Similarly, the Goode farm located at the top centre of the 1700’s map has been wiped out to make way for a car park and construct houses.
On the other hand, expansion along the high street road can be seen as the number of shops has increased, and the hotel’s main building has been added with a wing. Also, the streets in the town have been modified with the addition of the signal, zebra crossing, and roundabout with an extension.
Now let’s compare another report with this one.
The given maps illustrate the numerous modifications undergone by the centre of the town since the 17th century. Overall, it can be seen that various changes have taken place in the town centre in this period of over three centuries, but few landmarks like the bridge, market square and church remain untouched.
The Steggle farm, which was at the bottom extreme left corner of the map, was replaced, and in its place, a wide road was constructed. An independent house at the bottom right corner was demolished, and the area was utilised for a supermarket adjacent to St. Peters lane. On opposite to its side of the road, stables were replaced with a block of flats and independent houses with row houses near the market street. Goode farm is no more in existence, and that area is utilised for building new homes, and almost half of the land is reserved for the car park.
New houses are constructed near the Steggle road on fields, shops on the high street have also increased in number. St. Peters lane stands extended to the bottom of the map, and a Roundabout has been created to connect High street with St. Peter’s lane. The hotel building at the centre has been extended to form one more structure.
In this period, the Market square and church, which are centrally located and the bridge at the extreme top left corner, remain unchanged.